DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application
This happens on Windows when your Blender Application Data folder is corrupted. We never found a good reason for when this happens, but it does happen.
Clean up your Application Data. You find the data here:
Sometimes another Addon installation pollutes the Application data folder with scripts and libraries from older blender versions. This can easily make it impossible to install another Addon. We ensure that our Addons never creates such sort of pollution. And here is how you can get out of this issue:
- Locate the Blender Application data folder (see above)
- within the folder locate the subfolder that is named like your Blender release, for example:
- rename this folder to something like
Note: The name is not important, use whatever is convenient for you. You even can delete the folder if you like, but see below!
- Now restart Blender
This will cleanup your application data folder. But take care! This resets blender to its Factory settings. Any other Addon that you have installed is no longer visible and you need to install them again. However you can use the hidden subfolder ( 2.77_hide in my example) to recreate your installation. Although in most cases it seems easier to install all of your Addons again.
When the update fails
When you update an Addon in Blender, then normally the following steps are performed:
- The installer disables the current version of the Addon.
- The disabled addon is removed from the system (deleted from disk),
- The new Addon version is installed.
- You now can enable the new version manually
However sometimes the first step (disabling the Addon) does not disable all of the software. So it may happen that the old Addon leaves some traces which may result in subsequent errors when the new version is enabled in step 4.
When the above situation happens to you, then please proceed as follows:
Step 0: Remove traces
- Save User Setting at the bottom of the User Preferences Panel:
- Then close Blender
It is important that you really close blender.
Opening a new scene or pressing F8 are not enough!
- Open Blender and open the User preferences again
- Type “Avastar” into the Addon search field to locate your Addon
- Then Enable the Addon
In most cases this is all that you need to do. The Addon will enable without errors.
If the above procedure does not work for you, then you need to put blender into a clean state as follows:
Step 1: Remove Avastar
You find the Remove Button in the expanded Avastar Addon Panel:
Step 2: Save User Settings
You find the Save User settings Button at the bottom of the User Preferences Window:
Step 3: Restart Blender and Install the new Avastar Addon
Proceed by installing your Addon: