In this document we will focus on the hands only. I am using a slightly modified version of the avamesh model here. If you want to follow this document, then you can prepare your scene as follows:
- Open the Avastar Tab
- Open the Devkit Manager panel
- click on Avamesh – female
- Select the mesh
- open the Skinning Panel
- Unbind from Armature
Now you have the starting model.
Note: Please use Avastar-2.3-8 or newer. You may find this version in your daily builds download folder
Adjust the hand rig
- Add a new extended Avastar (Only Rig)
- Make sure the rig i selected in Pose mode
- Open the Rig Display panel
- Make hands and arms visible
- Set Hand Constraints to FK Simple
Begin in top view, only use rotation. do not use translation or scale. You may rotate the steel blue structure bones as well.
After some tweaking …
switch to side view and adjust the fingers again. Lets do the fingers first. For the thumb we need to do a bit of special tweaking…
Now all fingers are correct, but the thumbs still need a bit of tweaking. For this we need to know about 2 special control bones. …
Here i have enabled Bone shapes. This may help to understand how the bones operate:
- The Thumb Controller rotates the thumb around the Wrist bone (use “R” )
- The Thumb0 controls the angle between Thumb0 and Wrist bone (“R”)
You can select the entire hand by using ‘B’ and drag. At the end both hands should be aligned to the hand mesh. Inspect this carefully before you proceed!
And note: For now we only have a pose.
Next we will make this our new Default Rig!
Create a new Restpose
- Select the Armature in Pose mode
- Make Sure you are in Expert mode
- Open the Posing Panel
- Convert to Bind Pose
Since we have no meshes assigned yet the mesh conversion is not relevant. Just keep the defaults, it does not hurt.
Now we have defined a new Restpose and we can use this pose all the time from now on. But note: This is a bind pose.
Bind the Mesh
This is an opportunity to show you a nice little trick. We are only interested in getting the weights for the hands. We want to use weight from Bones, but we also want to only weight the hands and keep the rest of the mesh untouched. Here is how it goes:
- Select the Armature
- SHIFT Select the Mesh in Object mode
- Then go to Edit mode
- And select the hand vertices
- Open the Skinning panel
- Set the options:
- Weight from Bones
- Clear Weights
- Only operate on selected weights
- Now Bind to Armature